Window or Mirror?

One of my favorite books is The Last Fallen Realm. The Last Fallen Realm is of the fantasy-fiction genre and is the last book of a three book series. The first two books in this series are called: The Last Fallen Star and The Last Fallen Moon. The author, Gracie Kim, did a fantastic job writing this series by illustrating the characters with great depth, adding humorous inputs, and major plot twists. I chose to read this series because I really enjoyed the previous Rick Riordan Presents series I read and I wanted to read another one.

There are three types of books: a window book, mirror book, or both a window and mirror book in one. A window book is where you feel like you are watching what is happening in the book from a window. In other words, you feel like that story doesn’t relate to your life. A mirror book is where you feel like the story very much relates to yourself and your life. It is as if you’re looking at a mirror. And of course, there can be both a window and mirror experience in one book. However, this may vary between people. For example, you might think a certain book is a window book for you. On the other hand, I might think the very same book is a mirror book for me.

Personally, I like to choose an equal amount of window and mirror books because I like to read about stories I never knew about but I also like to relate to stories because it makes me feel like I’m not alone in doing something.

The Last Fallen Realm, for me, is a window book. This is a window book because the book is set in fictional worlds with mythical creatures based on Korean culture and beliefs. I, for one, am an American of Indian origin so I know nothing about Korean culture and mythology. If I were to make this book more of a mirror book to me, I would make the main character of Indian origin and base the book on Hindu mythology. The thing I love most about this book is that I get to learn more about Korean mythology. For example, Dokkaebi (DOE-geh-bee) or “Korean goblins”, are nature deities or spirits possessing special abilities that are used to engage with humans. Sometimes playing tricks on humans and sometimes helping them. 

If you are interested in The Last Fallen series I’d definitely recommend it to you if you like the fantasy-fiction genre or are willing to read an adventurous book with a Korean twist.